Hello. I’m Tor.
I am an award-winning designer with significant, decades-long experience in print and digital design, as well as in communications, marketing, nonprofits, international health, higher education, and religious organizations. With substantial programming and IT experience, I am a unique blend of artistic, business, and technology disciplines. This portfolio displays a selection from my years of work.
For nearly 13 years, I was the Web Producer & Art Director at EngenderHealth, a leading international women’s health organization with offices around the world. Before that, I worked in corporate marketing and design for Fortune 500 companies and NYC “dot-com” startups. I earned a Master of Fine Arts (MFA) in Design & Technology from Parsons School of Design, where I also taught graphic design.
Today, I am an assistant professor in the undergraduate Digital Technology & Culture (DTC) program at Washington State University, teaching a range of topics around graphic design and web design. I’ve posted some of my student’s positive feedback.
I am available on a limited basis for freelance work. If you are interested, please fill out the contact form on this page to inquire.
I am fluent in many acronyms, buzzwords, and marketing modalities such as:
- Visual design and production for all kinds of print and digital media, including multichannel campaigns and series
- Brand design, development, and management
- Concise writing for web, marketing, sales, and support
- Video, animation, audio, and music scripting, recording, editing, and production
- HTML, CSS, and responsive design
- PHP and MySQL
- XML and XSL
- Adobe’s Creative Suite and Microsoft’s less-creative suite
- HTTP, FTP, SMTP, DNS, SSL, SSH, Apache, LAMP, Git, and other servers, services, protocols, and environments
- Content management systems (CMSs) such as Cascade and WordPress, including custom themes (such as this one)
- Donor and contact management systems such as Salsa, Blackbaud Luminate, and Constant Contact
- Learning management systems (LMS) such as Canvas and Blackboard
- Online survey systems such as SurveyMonkey and LimeSurvey (of which I am a past open-source contributor)
- USAID, UNFPA, PEPFAR, WHO, DHHS, and others like them
- Social media and antisocial media
- Data visualization, infographics, and wtfgraphics
- Thinking outside the box
- Thinking inside the box
- Cutting up boxes with scissors to make a fort
- Homemade pizza
Elsewhere on the internet, I am And I’m the Dad: a “dad blogger” with 13,000+ Tumblr followers (all organic!) who has been profiled by Mashable, PR Newswire, and others, and who has contributed to The Good Men Project, Fatherly, and Medium.
Questions? Comments? Please use the form.
All original content on this site is copyrighted by Tor de Vries. Some items, including but not limited to logos, photographs, and user interfaces, are the intellectual property of the corporation for whom I produced it, and I make no claim otherwise. They are presented here solely for the purposes of my design portfolio.